Three people were killed on Monday after two teenage gunmen opened fire outside the Islamic Center of San Diego in what authorities are investigating as a possible hate crime and act of domestic extremism.
The attack occurred in San Diego’s Clairemont neighborhood shortly before midday prayers, sending panic through the Muslim community days before the Eid al-Adha celebration.
According to the San Diego Police Department, the suspects later died from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds after fleeing the scene in a vehicle.
Police said the incident began earlier in the day when the mother of one of the suspects contacted authorities to report her 17-year-old son missing. She reportedly informed dispatchers that he was suicidal, dressed in camouflage, and had taken several firearms along with her vehicle.
At about 11:43 a.m., the two suspects arrived at the mosque complex armed with at least one semi-automatic rifle and opened fire outside the facility.
Law enforcement officers responded within minutes, launching an active-shooter operation and evacuating nearby buildings, including an adjacent school within the mosque compound.
Authorities confirmed that three adult male staff members were killed during the attack. Community members identified two of the victims as a teacher, Mohamed Nader, and a security guard, Abdul Abdullah.
San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl praised the actions of the slain security guard, saying his intervention likely prevented the attackers from entering the mosque and causing further casualties.
As the suspects fled, investigators said they carried out a second shooting targeting a landscaper several blocks away, though the individual survived after a bullet reportedly struck a safety helmet.
Police later located the suspects’ vehicle stopped on a nearby street shortly after 1 p.m. Bomb disposal units cleared the vehicle before officers discovered both suspects dead inside.
Federal investigators identified the suspects as 17-year-old Cain Clark and 18-year-old Caleb Vazquez.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation said evidence recovered from the scene, including writings linked to white supremacist ideology and messages found on one of the weapons, suggests the shooting may have been racially or religiously motivated.
The attack is being investigated as a federal hate crime and possible domestic terrorism case.
Donald Trump said he had been briefed on the shooting and described it as a “terrible situation,” while California Governor Gavin Newsom condemned the violence and expressed support for the affected families.
The Council on American-Islamic Relations also condemned the attack, citing rising concerns over anti-Muslim hate incidents across the United States.
Meanwhile, Imam Taha Hassane described the tragedy as devastating for the community, saying worshippers had never experienced such violence at the mosque.
The Islamic Center of San Diego announced that the facility would remain temporarily closed as federal authorities continue forensic investigations and counseling support is provided to affected families and worshippers.
