Diaso: Colleague narrates last moments of doctor killed in elevator accident

Spread the news


The final moments of Vwaere Diaso, a physician at Lagos Island General Hospital, Odan, were detailed by a Twitter user going by the handle @LaseMoye.

Diaso passed away on Tuesday after the lift she was riding in crashed from the 10th level of the general hospital.

National Daily reports that the deceased was heading downstairs to receive a lunch delivery from a dispatch rider when the incident took place.

In front of the lift, Moye, who also works there, claimed she clicked the open button but decided not to get in since she was on a video chat.

She claimed that shortly after that, a loud crash to the floor caused the dispatch rider who had brought meals for Diaso to flee the building.

The doctor claimed that at that point, someone raised the alarm that Vwaere was inside the lift and that they immediately started looking for assistance to get her out.

To make sure it wasn’t a hoax, they attempted to open it with rods. When they eventually opened it, the scene was horrific. It became clear that there were muffled sounds of extreme agony and pain, the author stated.

ALSO READ: Air Peace passenger arrested over alleged N1m theft

“She had raccoon eyes, a cut across her jaw, and a cut across her forehead. Because the engine was hanging over her head and she was lying between the lift’s base and the ground floor, any mistake in the movement would have resulted in her being instantly crushed to death! 

She was essentially trapped between the dangling engine and the lower level, her injured limbs and broken spectacles covered in blood. The scene is indescribable.

Engineers were contacted, according to the deceased’s coworker, who also noted that it took them approximately 40 minutes to arrive.

She responded, “Don’t tell me to relax, tell them to get me out of here,” when I told her to calm down and that help was on the way. When we finally got her out, she kept saying that she believed she was going to pass away. 

“Emergency treatment was virtually nonexistent, even inside a hospital. The hospital did not have blood.

“She was eventually wheeled out, but already feeble, and continued crying, ‘I don’t want to die. They started performing CPR, and everything came to an end.

According to Moye, the doctors have been complaining about the lift for years, but no action was ever taken.

“I recall the last time we complained they told us to manage that in their day they were sleeping in call rooms during their days of horseback and we are fortunate we have water, a lift, and places to live in and we aren’t appreciative. 

It appears like we are asking for too much. Even the bare minimum was not being provided, and when we complained, they silenced us.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *