The Kaduna State Police Command has launched an investigation into a viral social media video allegedly showing police officers collecting money from motorists and cyclists during a stop-and-search operation.
The investigation was ordered by the Commissioner of Police, CP Rabiu Muhammad, who directed that the officers allegedly involved in the incident be identified and invited for questioning.
The Command’s Public Relations Officer, DSP Mansir Hassan, confirmed the investigation in a statement issued on Tuesday, August 18, 2026.
Hassan said the police commissioner had directed that all personnel linked to the incident be identified and investigated, adding that any officer found culpable would face appropriate disciplinary and legal action.
“The Commissioner of Police, CP Rabiu Muhammad, has ordered that the officers involved in the incident be identified and invited for investigation. Any officer found culpable will be appropriately sanctioned,” Hassan said.
The Command also reiterated that routine roadblocks and stop-and-search operations have been restricted across the state.
According to the police, checkpoints are only permitted where credible intelligence indicates the possible movement of criminal suspects, illegal firearms or prohibited items.
The viral footage was reportedly recorded around a suburb of Millennium City, an area the police described as a security-sensitive corridor.
Hassan said the route had previously been used in operations that resulted in the interception and recovery of 20 AK-47 rifles, highlighting the security challenges faced by officers operating in the area.
However, the Command stressed that the security situation does not give officers the authority to harass motorists or demand money from members of the public.
The police spokesman said CP Muhammad had maintained a zero-tolerance position on corruption and misconduct, warning personnel against using legitimate security operations as an opportunity for extortion.
“Notwithstanding these security concerns, the CP has made it clear that no police officer is permitted to use legitimate security duties as an avenue for extortion, harassment, or any form of misconduct,” Hassan said.
The investigation is expected to determine the identities of the officers captured in the video and establish the circumstances surrounding the alleged incident.
