The daughters of veteran Yoruba actor Taiwo Hassan, popularly known by his screen name “Ogogo,” have made emotional public appeals for medical assistance, revealing that their father is battling stage-four cancer and that hospitals have stopped offering him further treatment.
The daughters, Lima and Kira Taiwo, made separate appeals on Instagram on Monday, urging Nigerians, well-wishers and medical professionals with cancer treatment experience to help save their father. Both broke down in tears in their respective videos as they described the toll the illness has taken on the 66-year-old actor.
In her video, Kira said her father’s hospital had told the family it could no longer administer chemotherapy, and she appealed to anyone who might know of hospitals, doctors or other legitimate treatment options. She said, “I’m here for my daddy. He has cancer, and he’s in stage 4. The hospital is saying that they cannot treat him again; they can’t give him chemo again.”
Kira stressed that the family was not soliciting money but was searching specifically for a way to continue her father’s treatment. She said her father was in pain and unhappy, and appealed for anyone who could treat him, whether through conventional medicine or herbal remedies, to come forward. She added that her father did not want to die and was suffering.
Her sister Haleemah also posted a separate appeal, saying she could not bear the thought of losing her father and revealing that doctors had discovered his cancer only three weeks earlier. Lima, in her own video, said her father’s condition had visibly deteriorated and described his stomach as swollen, saying he had been crying from the pain.
Both daughters expressed gratitude to a Senator Yayi who they said had been covering their father’s medical bills. They were careful to clarify that their appeal was not a request for financial donations but a search for medical expertise or facilities willing to take on the case. Kira also shared a phone number in her post, inviting anyone with information to contact her directly.
Hassan, 66, has built a career in the Nigerian film industry spanning more than four decades and has appeared in more than 300 movies, making him one of the most recognisable faces in Yoruba cinema. He has long been regarded as one of the industry’s most respected veterans.
As of Monday’s appeals, the family had not disclosed the specific type or origin of the cancer, and no hospital or medical body had issued a public statement on the case. The videos have circulated widely across Nigerian social media and entertainment news outlets, drawing an outpouring of concern from fans and colleagues in the film industry.
